Thursday, September 15, 2011

Welcome!

Hello fellow singers!
  I am so happy you have found my blog and that you are interested in improving your skill set or learning how to sing from scratch.  This blog will contain LOADS of information I have taken years to accumulate.   I will be posting vocal exercises, everyday warmups, instruction, information on voice types, and tricks of the trade for high notes.  Feel free to hit me up with requests and comments!  I want to know what was helpful, confusing, missing, or too much.  Before we get started, let me tell you a bit about myself.

   I have been a performer since I was a young child.  My career started in musical theatre and graduated into acting in commercials and independent films.  I decided to concentrate on music alone about 8 years ago, and since then I have been a full time professional performer, teacher, and student.  I recently received my BA in music from San Diego State University, and I am currently working towards my Level 1 Speech Level Singing certification.  I have studied with many amazing teachers, the most recent being Kathy Kennedy (Level 5 SLS) and Guy Babusek (Level 5 SLS.)

    Most importantly, I absolutely LOVE teaching voice.  It has become a passion that even overshadows my love for performing.  I am excited to have a new venue for sharing my knowledge and helping my fellow singers, so don't be shy!  I want to know what you like, hate, need, and dream about when it comes to your voice.  If you can't afford singing lessons, stay tuned and I will give you as much information for free as I can!  If you are just learning how to sing, this is a great place to begin.
 
    Coming VERY soon:
    The four voice type TENDENCIES: find out which one you are and how to fix it!

    Keep Singing,
    Melody

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mel,can u share here an email where i can send the question?:D
    Anyway i wanted to ask u i breath with my diaphragm but when i sing a song its a bit difficult to keep the air for longer and i breath that much that it kinda hurts or O.o what should i do ? uwu
    Thank you for ur help!<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! The technique I teach doesn't put a lot of emphasis on breathing because we have found that too much concentration on breath leads to pushing, straining, and pain. =) I can show you some simple breathing exercises that will help to increase your capacity to hold out notes, however, if you continue to study the technique I teach you will see that breathing is as easy as speaking. My first advice to you is to relax! Stop thinking so much about your breath. I know this flies in the face of what many teachers say but it is the simple truth. I have a really busy week and I haven't been able to post yet, but keep your eye out and I will post a healthy breathing exercise just for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Melody, how ya doing? I want to learn how to sing but I don't know where to start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I want to learn how to sing but I don't know where to start. Help please???

    ReplyDelete